Friday, July 2, 2010

1st Week of Rehearsal

Rehearsals for my summer show have officially begun. Am I excited? Absolutely! It has been so great to be reunited with the cast members from previous years.
Unfortunately I have had a recent injury that has made it difficult to dance. Yikes! Don't worry, I should be all healed up in time for the show. 
I've tended to be negative in my entries and I would like to start this post by taking the time to praise some of the good behavior I see around me. My theatre group isn't full of idiots who have the manners of neanderthals, you know.
As we all know, in life we can't sit back and take the time to let things happen to us. We have to put ourselves out there for people to notice. One lovely girl (I'll call her Lovely), unfortunately, tends to do exactly the opposite. She is a little shy and doesn't usually assert herself. but this week I am proud to say that she stood up and went for it!
For one of the scenes there was going to be a small group of girls who would be cheerleaders of sorts. When our choreographer asked if anyone would like to do it, Lovely slowly raised her hand and was chosen to be in this highlighted group! Hooray! You can't always sit back and wait for your talents to be discovered you have to remind people or go out for things for people to know.
But I digress. I was talking to another girl who happens to have a lead in the show. She confided in me that "I usually don't get into character until tech week or even the show." Well, I didn't really say anything but, you don't want to wait that long to get into character!
How you do in rehearsals is how you will perform. If you aren't getting into the character until the performance it will feel odd and different. It might throw you off! Don't take that risk. get into character as soon as you know who you are. When you are on stage you can't be you playing so-and-so. You have to be so-and-so.  
Also, I want to point out that when a director calls places, you go to your place with little to no conversation and when the director says something you don't have to call our you every thought and opinion. Just because you think your idea is great does not give you the right to slow down rehearsal and interrupt your director. My theatre group does it all the time! We loose valuable time that could be spent running a scene on working on a dance.
Today we were learning a new dance and my sister (I'll call her Ursula) was stuck next to a girl that kept insisting that whatever Ursula did was wrong. Now I know that sometimes Ursula probably was wrong but the other girl didn't need to be a snot and point it out. If Ursula was doing it wrong she new. More to the point, the other girl was wrong just as much as Ursula. Well, if you do happen to be in a rehearsal and a person is doing the dance wrong or something else wrong you don't have to be rude and tell her "You're wrong!" or "That's Wrong!" all the time. It comes off as snotty even if you meant it in the nicest way possible. How you say something affects how a person reacts. Anyway it's not your job to correct everything and everybody. If a person is doing something wrong the director or choreographer or whoever, will correct them. That's their job not yours.
I hope to keep you posted, Ta-Ta for now :)

No comments:

Post a Comment