Friday, April 2, 2010

Theater vs. Theatre

Most of us have probably seen theater spelled both theatre and theater. "Theatre" is the British spelling and "theater" is the one that is most commonly used in the US. I have seen both used and have wondered which to use.
Most people recognize theater as the correct spelling because that is how we spell it here in the US. Even as I type theatre the computer tells me that this is wrong and that I must change it.
 I wondered if the more professional way to spell it was theatre. I've seen theatre companies spell it the British way.

 Now think that people will spell it anyway they like. I often switch which version I use. I think that either way you spell it can be accepted. Although, it is more likely that a teacher will correct you and make you spell theater the American way. If you are posting a comment on my blog I invite you to spell it any way you like. I will not take a red pen to your writing if you spell it theatre.

No comments:

Post a Comment