Saturday, April 3, 2010

Height in the Theater

I am 5'8 and 3/4" and in character shoes more like 5'9" or maybe even 5'10". I have had my fair share of rejection from parts. Sometimes I have been turned down from a role because I was too tall for the leading man.
Unfortunately, ladies, we have it much harder than men. There are just less men in the theater world and it makes it easier for them to get parts. Often times the taller and shorter ladies will be cut because they are too tall or short for the chosen male lead.
Height can be worked around in the films more easily than on the stage. However on the stage it looks odd if Cinderella is a head taller than Prince Charming.
There are some advantages if you are taller than you can easily go for the older roles. My height helped me play a 40 year old woman when I was only 16. Also if you're shorter you can go for the younger roles. Our Annie was 13 and the character is 11. It can work to your advantage.
It is a pain to not be cast because of your height but you can't let it stop you. There will be a lead who is tall enough or short enough for you. Do not give up. Some directors won't mind or will find a way to work around it. Maybe you'll wear heels or no heels at all.
Do not give up. That is the most important thing in this business. So stand tall and be petite. you will have your day in the sun. I did. Talent is more important than height. You could be the perfect height for a role but if you don't have the talent for it you will not get the part. Simple as that.

No comments:

Post a Comment